Blessings of the Black Seed 1
“Allah has sent down both the disease and the cure, and He has appointed a cure for every disease, so treat yourselves medically, but use nothing unlawful” (Sunan Abu Dawood)
What is really amazing about Islam is that it’s not only a set of rules to be followed by a bunch of people but it has much more to offer in terms of every aspect of life. Like Allah SWT has chosen some of His people for His amazing blessings, the non-human things are not left behind. The Islamic world of health has cures in selected medicinal plants for many common diseases human beings face in their lives. Amongst the many the ‘Habbatul barakah’ or the seed of blessing or Kalonji or the Black Seed is a natural remedy for many diseases and has been used in many countries for more than 2000 years.
History shows that the black seed has been used to improve health in many cultures. It was used as an anti-biotic, anti-tumor, anti-bronchial, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-histaminic. It is also a part of cuisine in many countries and used for adding flavor to the dishes.
Islam and the Black Seed
Whereas Islam has pointed out the cure many years ago, clinical trials have verified and validated the affectivity of black seed in health and cure. Prophet SAW said, “Use the black seed because it has a relief of all diseases except death”. The Prophet SAW himself used to take the black seed with honey for therapeutic purpose.[box_dark]A very well known incident in Sahih Bukhari states that Khalid bin Sad narrated, “We went out and Ghalib bin Abjar was accompanying us. He fell ill on the way and when we arrived at Madina he was still sick. Ibn Abi ‘Atiq came to visit him and said to us, “Treat him with black cumin. Take five or seven seeds and crush them (mix the powder with oil) and drop the resulting mixture into both nostrils, for ‘Aisha has narrated to me that she heard the Prophet saying, ‘This black cumin is healing for all diseases except As-Sam.’ Aisha said, ‘What is As-Sam?’ He said, ‘Death.” (Sahih Bukhari)[/box_dark]
Though not many uses of the black seed has been quoted in Ahadith or Quran but Muslim scholars have researched on its usage by the methods of Prophet SAW. The healing properties are due to the hundreds of components this little seed contains. It is a significant source of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
Usage in Cure
Where the usage of black seed varies from external and internal healing, the black seed can be used in a raw form or an oil form. Both type of usage have shown amazing results and my research has added enough knowledge not only in its usage but the type of diseases it can cure. One important thing to note about the usage is that black seed is effective when used with some proper combinations and not alone all the time. Tibb-e-Nabawi lays out many details in its usage in pure and oil form.
Usage in Raw Form
The very common usage of black seed is in its raw form where it can be taken as a medicine and even be used in adding tempting flavors to cooking.
- Daily Supplement: just like we use many vitamins and minerals supplements, the substantial components of black seed can replace the extra supplements used by taking only a few seeds before breakfast every day. Routine usage has shown to increase the immune system of the body. It helps in recovering from fatigue and is a great source of energy as it maintains body heat.
- Cold and Congestion: Black seeds are very effective in respiratory problems, as the Hadith above also tells. Frying black seeds and soaking them in either black seed oil or vegetable oil is good for nasal congestion and relieves from cold.
- Pregnancy: although it has a warm effect, the usage of black seed is usually not recommended during pregnancy but its usage at delivery time has helped in easing the pain if taken with honey. It also increases milk production in mothers and adds excellent nutrition to it.
- Ulcers: black seeds are famous for treating rural ulcers. They are usually roasted and mixed with henna plant oil to use as ointment over the affected area.
- Diabetes: diabetic patients are advised to use black seed in routine. It is very effective in controlling the sugar levels if taken before breakfast. The effective usage is experienced with cress seeds, pomegranate peel and bile.
- Teeth and Gum pains: black seeds when boiled with vinegar give a soothing effect in rinsing teeth and gums. This is more effective when the oil is used with the mixture as well.
Black seed is generally used in oil form more and has various benefits in using it routinely. The next part of the series will cover the usage of black seed in oil form and the amazing effects it can have in a human body.
Sadaf Siddique holds a degree in Computers and a Masters in Business Administration. She is the mother of a 2-year-old boy, a part-time writer and a full-time homemaker.